YAKIMA, Wash.-- With the New Year comes new requirements in Washington State for carbon monoxide detectors in rental housing.
A law passed in 2009 requires owners of rental units, like apartments and duplexes, to install detectors starting today. The law applies to newly built homes as well.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that can kill in small amounts. Firefighters say you should install a detector in your home, even if the new law doesn't require you to.
"Most definitely get a detector. It's the only way you're gonna know for sure, and it's the only way you're gonna keep you and your family safe," says Yakima Fire Lieutenant Jeremy Rodriguez.
Any gas-powered appliance in your home, like furnaces or stoves, can produce the gas if it starts leaking.
Nearly 1,500 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year.