YAKIMA, Wash.-- The holidays are a fun time for many families to get together, but it can be a dangerous time for your pets.
The Humane Society of Central Washington says pet owners should be cautious with decorations.
Pets can easily swallow a Christmas ornament or get shocked when they chew on a Christmas light cord.
They say even non-pet owners should knock on their car hoods before starting the car's engine, in case a cat is hiding inside.
The shelter is treating a cat right now that went through that experience.
"So, he was in a pretty dire state. We currently have Gulliver, this cat in treatment and also on some medication, and he's gonna be fine," says Erica Seaver-Engel with the Humane Society.
They say you should also be cautious with Christmas lights.
Pets can sometimes chew through the cords.